Thursday, August 12, 2010

what happened, what should have happened.

 I'm writing this blog because I'm starting to feel like I am missing out on a community, given that, so far, I only connect through other peoples' comments sections. I am very thankful to have found the people I have found on-line over the last year. I wish I knew you all for a completely different reason.

I don't want to tell the story again today, so here it is, as written august 3rd, 2009,   3 weeks and one day after my love died. Fifty six weeks and four days later, I still can't believe that d-word applies.


You were just right here, that day, that morning. So strong, and joyful and full of life. It’s so sudden. I can’t take the shock. No preparation – other than knowing you. No preparation to have you bodily ripped out of my life, out of our life. I have been prepared to let you go, to let you walk off into the woods, I have been prepared by your faith and your being to let go of your body, to let you be dust. But not NOW. I am not prepared NOW. I was prepared for much later in life. I was prepared for 102, though I would have let go at 100. This should be our time. And your body is gone, and it’s freaking me out. Ridiculous. You and I go out for breakfast, then head to the river. You show me whirlpools, and are so excited to be in the woods and the water at the same time. You play with the dog. You set up our chairs. Then, you tell me this is heaven for him, and you walk into the river. You cough, you cough, I don’t help, and you drown. JUST LIKE THAT. JUST LIKE THAT. We are in the middle of life, and just like that, you drown. Over.

And the fireworks in my life blow up, everything up until that moment explodes.

The shock is intense. Seeing your perfectly strong body, knowing your skills and your strength, I cannot imagine you drowning; I can’t imagine you not being free, not coming out, not popping back up. I can’t wrap my mind or my heart around that piece. That suddenly, suddenly – suddenly, my love could be gone. The very long blink of an eye, because it wasn’t that fast. Or were those minutes? Like when we used to say that the night stretches out for those who need it? When you wake up in the middle of the night, and it just seems interminable, it’s because someone needed the extra time. Did time slow down like that?

I can’t handle you not here. The truck is in the driveway. It has to go to Andrew today. I know it is just a truck. Not as personal as your body. But it is one huge reminder that you are gone, and you are not coming home right now, not in this body, not to my body. You won’t be here to comfort me, the way I see it all play out: I jumped in the water to save you, and you had just gone under to let the current take you to the shore. You popped back up in the trees, and called for a little help getting out. You were gasping, but held me back with one hand up to let me know you just needed a minute, and you would be okay. I called 911, just to be sure you were safe and had the oxygen you need. And you would be hanging over at your waist, breathing hard. I would have to call boris to me, because he keeps dropping the ball at your feet. And then you sit down. And once you are safe, I start crying. You are a little freaked out, but you are breathing, you are calming yourself down. The dog lies down too. I pull it together, though, see, because you need me to be calm while you recover. It’s later, after the medics come and see that you are fine, and I am driving you home, that you put your hand on my knee and say “Sorry to scare you like that babe.” And I start crying so hard I have to pull over. But you are with me, and you are crying too, because it was scary. But we are together. We go home and sit quiet. You tell me you need to go off for a meditation alone. And when you return, we go to bed, and hold each other, and make love, and we both cry again – to be alive, to be holding each other, knowing we had come so close, so close to this other life. This one. This one that I have now.

11 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, eerily told.

    Thanks for sharing your story Megan. I know this must be painful to share, and difficult to recount the moments of panic. I can't imagine how helpless you must have felt.

    I suppose that in the end, we are all so helpless. None of us could change what happened. Yet we all find ourselves here. Helpful for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must have read this a dozen times, over the not-a-year since I met you, and it kills me each time. And you know we are no longer, if we ever were, people who use kill, dead, death words lightly. You make it so easy; it is so clear to see what might, could, should have happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan,
    There. Are. No. Words.
    Except that I am so very, very sorry.
    This was powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweetie. My sister's fiance drowned ten years ago. I'm so sorry for your loss. Thanks for telling us and for using your beautiful imagination. Both are truth. HUGS.

    Supa

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ugh...my heart breaks reading your words again...feeling your horror and pain in the words...I am so, so sorry that he died...so unreal. *

    ReplyDelete
  7. Megan, I just read your beginning story here. thank you for visiting my story too. I just sit here, across miles probably, holding you...as you held me yesterday. I am so sorry. for both of us...and all who lose so tragically and so fast...for my sweet son in law, who also watched the love of his life die so fast and tragically too. Sending love to you today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Megan, I just read your beginning story here. thank you for visiting my story too. I just sit here, across miles probably, holding you...as you held me yesterday. I am so sorry. for both of us...and all who lose so tragically and so fast...for my sweet son in law, who also watched the love of his life die so fast and tragically too. Sending love to you today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine. I remember finding your blogs a couple years ago, and the perspective, and love, your words gave me for my father in law. Thank you.

      I met your son-in-law at Camp Widow. Though "met" is not entirely accurate - more introduced and acknowledged.

      Love to you.

      Delete