Sunday, August 22, 2010

In the Hands of Love
 
God is working everywhere his massive Resurrection;
How can we pretend to act on our own?
In the hand of Love I am like a cat in a sack;
Sometimes Love hoists me into the air
Sometimes Love flings me to the ground.
Love swings me round and round His head;
I have no peace, in this world or any other.
The Lovers of God have fallen in a furious river;
They have surrendered themselves to love's commands.
Like millwheels they turn, day and night, day and night,
Constantly turning and turning, and crying out.

- Jalal-ud-Din Rumi

3 comments:

  1. Hi Megan,

    This is a beautiful poem. I also find it quite challenging, because it reminds me that I have become somewhat egotistical in my grieving process. I felt abandoned by God, so everything I do, I now feel like I do it alone.

    Perhaps that is why I am on a personal journey to re-experience God's love.

    Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "the lovers of god have fallen in a furious river."

    I also feel quite abandoned by god, or on equally, but differently, bad days, that I somehow left god - I missed something, or I keep missing it. I can go around and around - wanting to experience god's love, knowing there is no survival for me without it, not feeling god's love, getting mad at myself for somehow doing something Wrong (otherwise I would feel it), and then mad at god for not making it easier to feel it.

    Oh how much I want to trust god as I used to. but we got thrown in this river, see, and I am being smacked around by love so much, I don't yet recognize Her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Sometimes Love hoists me into the air
    Sometimes Love flings me to the ground.
    Love swings me round and round His head;
    I have no peace, in this world or any other."

    Sheesh, I'll say.

    ReplyDelete