Sunday, June 5, 2011

*

I think I will start a new thing: when I read your words, and feel them, and have nothing to say, I am going to leave you a *. Like the Jewish tradition of leaving a stone on a gravestone, to tell someone you've been there, that you love them and you're there.

A description of that stone-leaving practice:

1) It is a sign to others who come to the grave when I am not there that they and I are not the only ones who remember. The stones I see on the grave when I come are a reminder to me that others have come to visit the grave. My loved one is remembered by many others and his/her life continues to have an impact on others, even if I do not see them.

2) When I pick up the stone it sends a message to me. I can still feel my loved one. I can still touch and be touched by him/her. I can still feel the impact that has been made on my life. Their life, love, teachings, values, and morals still make an impression on me. When I put the stone down, it is a reminder to me that I can no longer take this person with me physically. I can only take him/her with me in my heart and my mind and the actions I do because he/she taught me to do them. Their values, morals, ideals live on and continue to impress me - just as the stone has made an impression on my hands - so too their life has made an impression on me that continues.


So, no, you're not dead. I don't mean to imply I'm leaving asterix on your metaphorical grave. But when I read your words, I feel my love for matt in what your words bring out in me. I know I am not the only one who remembers. Through what you've written, I feel my kinship with you though we probably haven't physically met, and I can feel the love you have for your own love. If you have odd * show up in your comments, that is me ~ nothing to say, but you have made an impression, and I'm here. I put my stone down: your words have an impact on me. The impression continues, even though I do not see you.

______________________________________________________________***

7 comments:

  1. what a lovely idea. and thank you for the education - i never knew that's what those stones meant.

    we are both pondering and writing on stones this sunny Sunday morning it seems. week 98 for me now. i don't usually count the weeks, but creeping up on year 2 now, i am thinking of dates a bit more these days.
    * <3 * xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm - last sunday of double digits. And, for precision, see my comment on your post....

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like it-
    I didn't know that was what the stones meant either...glad to know it now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The post and the intent is beautiful and eloquent. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's see if I can leave a comment. Last couple of times I tried, it wouldn't work.

    *

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful idea.
    *
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. *

    we're not jewish, but i am actually including the stones at my husband's upcoming memorial...my daughter will paint a couple and other friends will bring them from their own areas- places that my husband also lived at one time- boston, korea, nyc...

    ReplyDelete