Sunday, February 13, 2011

words for sunday 83

"You know, the jackass doesn't have much sensibility. But even he gains spirit from the company of his own kind. But when the jackass crosses the desert alone, how many more blows it takes to get him there. Now, this is what this poem says to you: If you're not a jackass, don't cross the desert alone!"- Rumi

Everyone sees the unseen in proportion to the clarity of his heart, and that depends upon how much he has polished it. Whoever has polished it more sees more — more unseen forms become manifest to him. (also Rumi)


Sometimes a post of quotations seems like a silly thing. Just talking to hear myself speak. But then, who cares. Words have always brought beauty for me, and goodness. Rumi was my companion traveling through Spain 15 years ago, and his words are always running a background script in my mind. Poetry has always been where I am least alone. Matt and I were talking about Rumi and Shams just a few days before, how there is no model of that kind of love here in this world anymore. Anyway. That's it, again. Just nothing really. Some words, because I like them.


D.H. Lawrence: "I am in the hands of the unknown God, He is breaking me down to His own oblivion." Here, you have only yourself, your faith, your lack of faith, and all that has been stalking you.

1 comment:

  1. i've always thought others say it better than i can. i love these. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete